Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prompt 1: Does Anyone Really Know Me?


Kaylee Bettag
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English 11
29 July 2013
            Throughout the years, coaches, teachers, and even strangers have often asked me the simple question “Who are you?”  Initially, I would respond with a general summary of who I am.  I would naturally reply, I am Kaylee Ann Bettag, born on June 16th, 1996.  I have a loving family that consists of two siblings, Hannah and Logan. I will be a junior this year at North High School and will participate on the track and soccer team. Sports are a very big part of my life and always will be.  At the age of eight, I broke my back during a travel gymnastics competition.  My parents stress that in order to achieve success you have to make sacrifices that others will not.  They also make sure it is clear that without good grades my dreams will not be achievable.  I hope to not only attend Indiana University, but also to run track for them.  I am somewhat short and have many freckles.  I love to spend time with friends and spend what small amount of free time I have left shopping, fishing, watching movies, and running.   
            In my opinion the version of my life I shared was a very good way to explain to someone, even a stranger, exactly who I am.  With that said, if I were to think about and answer this question in a philosophical way, I would quickly realize that it is very difficult to let someone know exactly who I am.  I may be able to tell them what I like, who I like, and what my life goals are, but that does not at all begin to explain me.  There is not much I could say that would tell someone how I feel, why I feel that way, or what makes me happy or sad.  I feel as though the only person that really knows who I am is myself.
            Just looking at the question, “Where does the world come from?” has me, as a high school student, in awe.  This question has more and more people, including philosophers and scientists, confused each day.  Many people have different theories depending on their beliefs.  A large portion of scientists, craving an explanation, believe in the “Big Bang Theory”.  This is the theory that the world came about through a “bang”, or an explosion of some kind.  On the other hand, many Christians, like myself, believe that God created the world and everything in it.  The Bible states that God created the world in 6 days and on the 7th day he rested. 
No matter what you believe it is a fact that our world is indeed very complex.  Everything is created differently and the world is always in constant change.  No matter how difficult the question, our world is an amazing place that will continue to perplex the minds of generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment